READING: Fill in the blanks
- Remember that some words often go together to form a familiar phrase. This is called ‘collocation’. Using collocation can help you recognise the correct word for each blank.
- Read around the blank in the text and decide what part of speech the missing word is.
- Next look at the answer options provided and rule out any words that are not the right part of speech.
- Finally, choose the words that are left, the one that has the correct meaning.
READING & WRITING: Fill in the blanks
- Skim for the overall purpose to help you choose the right word Understanding the meaning of the whole text helps you choose the right word for each blank.
- Read before and after the blank to help you identify the correct word.